It was an honor to recently serve as moderator and facilitator for the 4th Annual PHTS Leadership Conference for HR Professionals. The conference is specifically designed for senior HR leaders. The conference was co-sponsored by the South Carolina Healthcare Human Resources Association.
One segment of the conference focused specifically on Performance Appraisals and Employee Development. David Homyk, Vice President Human Resources, Beaufort Memorial Hospital served as discussion leader for this session. David described a number of initiatives within his organization targeted toward improving performance appraisals and employee development.
One very positive initiative David described is the use of the training program entitled Get On The Right Bus, featuring Mike “Coach K” Krzyzewski, the highly successful basketball coach at Duke University and coach of the U.S. Olympic Basketball Team.
Mike “Coach K” Krzyzewski believes in the power of words — words that can change lives and make individuals, teams and organizations successful.
Coach K grew up in Chicago, where his mother cleaned floors at the Chicago Athletic Club nearly every night from 11 p.m. until 6 a.m., and his father was an elevator operator at Willoughby Towers, a Chicago Skyscraper.
When Coach K was starting high school, his mom said, “Life is going to change for you tomorrow. Make sure you get on the right bus.” Mike soon realized that his mother was talking about much more than finding his way to his new school.
In Get on the Right Bus, Coach K shares his philosophy of the power of words, explores the powerful words that have motivated and inspired so many individuals and teams, and encourages you to find the specific words that will change your life and give you and your team the winning edge.
The training program is designed to help participants:
- Share individual experiences about making changes in their lives
- Identify personal perceptions about confronting challenges
- Suggest words they feel will help address the challenges
- Discuss behaviors associated with the words they feel will help address the challenges
- Inspire you and your colleagues, as individuals and as a team, to move toward achieving your goals. Getting a good start is important, but follow through is essential to bring about successful change.
The program includes an action-planning activity that allows you and your colleagues to put the discussion into action. The program also includes:
- A 16-minute program of Coach K’s team philosophy of success.
- A 29-minute program featuring the 16-minute Coach K’s team philosophy of success, plus the special words: Integrity, Personal Responsibility, Dependability, Work and Imagination.
- Special bonus section with words Respect and Selflessness
- Get on the Right Bus Playbook — Trainer’s Version
- Get on the Right Bus Playbook — Participant’s Version
Based on the very positive experience of David Homyk and Beaufort Memorial Hospital, you might want to investigate the applicability of this resource for your healthcare organization. Information is available on various websites including www.enterprisemedia.com.
You can reach Dan Nielsen at email@example.com