Innovation on Display
Premier Inc. showcased unique medical devices and products at its 7th annual Innovation Celebration, held at its annual Breakthroughs Conference and Exhibition this summer. Volunteers from Premier’s member sourcing committees selected the products and services based on their uniqueness, ability to have an impact on unmet clinical needs and potential to improve patient care.
“The selection criteria for the products and devices at Innovation Celebration is very rigorous and is conducted by clinician leaders throughout the Premier alliance,” Richard Bankowitz, M.D., Premier’s chief medical officer, was quoted as saying. “This year that process resulted in a diverse group of products and devices that are perfect examples of how innovation can advance patient care.”
2015 Innovation Celebration participants were:
- Flexicare Inc.: DualGuard, a device that incorporates an endoscopy bite block with oxygen delivery and carbon dioxide monitoring for use in upper endoscopy procedures. DualGuard enables clinicians to meet the American Society of Anesthesiologists’ guidelines for monitoring all patients during moderate and deep sedation, ensuring the safety of patients breathing orally or nasally.
- Hologic, Inc.: Brevera™ breast biopsy system with CorLumina™ imaging technology, an advanced biopsy platform designed to increase clinical confidence, reduce procedure times and improve the patient experience. (The system has not been cleared by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, and so is not yet available for sale in the United States.)
- Incisive Surgical, Inc.: INSORB® 30 Absorbable Subcuticular Skin Stapler, a rapid skin closure modality said to combine the comfort and convenience of an absorbable suture with the durability of a metal skin stapler. It eliminates the need for patients to undergo needless skin punctures and staple removal, which may result in increased pain, wound complications and scars.
- Medtronic: IN.PACT® Admiral® Drug Coated Balloon, a minimally invasive treatment for peripheral artery disease in the upper leg. By preventing the re-narrowing of specific arteries due to plaque build-up, patients are better able to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- Penumbra Inc.: Apollo System, a minimally invasive medical device used to remove blood in the brain following a stroke. Previously, such a condition would have limited treatment options.
- ReavillMED: One Needle, designed to make inserting a catheter line in the arm more convenient for the patient and the healthcare provider. Patients receiving One Needle are spared the discomfort of multiple insertions of needles and catheters to establish IV lines.
- Roche Diagnostics: Cobas 4800 HPV (human papillomavirus) Test, said to be the first and only non-PAP test approved for first-line screening of cervical cancer in the United States, and a new option in screening strategies to improve women’s health.
- Jude Medical: CardioMEMS™ Heart Failure System, said to be the first and only FDA-approved heart failure monitor proven to significantly reduce heart failure hospital admissions and improve quality of life for patients when managed by a physician.
- Toshiba America Medical Systems, Inc.: SMI (Superb Micro-vascular imaging), available on the Aplio 500 Platinum Ultrasound System, designed to allow clinicians to use ultrasound to see the smallest vessels in and around areas such as tumors and lymph nodes.
- Toshiba America Medical Systems, Inc.; Infinix™ Cardiovascular X-ray Dose Solutions, a system that features a comprehensive selection of tableside dose management tools to assist physicians with managing dose and delivering high-quality images.
- Westmed, Inc.: Vibralung Acoustical Percussor, a device that uses sound waves over a wide range of frequencies in Airway Clearance Therapy. As a result, mucous is loosened and separated throughout the airways to promote safe, effective, yet gentle airway clearance therapy.
Any supplier, regardless of whether the company is contracted with Premier, can be considered for participation in the Innovation Celebration. Premier contracts with more than 1,100 suppliers.