Our annual “Ten People to Watch” feature is something we look forward to every year. The reason is, it’s our opportunity to learn about and talk to some of the most dynamic people in the business today. It re-energizes us, and we hope, it will do the same for you.
This year’s “Ten People” – actually 11, as you’ll see – are involved in a variety of noteworthy projects. They include:
- Implementing a reprocessing program, and controlling bone supply expenses.
- Tackling physician-preference items, a job that calls for vision, analysis and, perhaps most of all, excellent communication skills.
- Rethinking value analysis in a number of ways.
- Providing support to the IDN’s radiation safety efforts.
- Implementing evidence-based techniques for evaluating new equipment and technology.
- Developing partnerships with other hospitals and IDNs to drive down costs.
- Getting more deeply involved in the clinical side of the organization, including pharmacy, lab, radiology, surgery, etc.
- Reassessing one’s GPO, and then ensuring a smooth, productive transition.
Though we didn’t plan it this way, the titles of our Ten People reflect the varied responsibilities encompassed by contracting and materials management.
Examples include clinical resource director; vice president of imaging services, cardiac services and supply chain operations; clinical resource management; executive director, pharmacy services, materials management, nutritional support team, GI lab; and director of nursing and standardization.
We want to thank all of you who submitted nominations for our Ten People. We hope that as you read their stories, you will reflect – as we did – on the talent and ideas that flow through this profession.